Connect with us
HOUSTON WEATHER

Sports

Deshaun Watson coined idea for trick play vs. Patriots

Published

on

Credit for the Houston Texans’ most memorable play in Sunday night’s win over the New England Patriots belongs with the players not only for execution, but also innovation.

Quarterback Deshaun Watson devised the idea for the fourth-quarter trick play in which he scored a touchdown reception in the eventual 28-22 win, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said. 

On first-and-goal from the Patriots’ 6-yard line, Watson handed off to running back Duke Johnson, who then gave the ball to DeAndre Hopkins as the wide receiver headed to the right side on an end around. With Watson following along to his right, Hopkins then flung the ball to his quarterback, who then dove into the end zone for the 28-9 lead.

O’Brien said in his postgame news conference that Watson and other players “drew that one up in the dirt over the bye week.”

“We’ve been working on that for a while, and it was all about the timing, where we could get the ball so we could run a play like that,” O’Brien said. “The timing was right. … They executed it pretty well. It wasn’t the exact look we thought we were gonna get, and they made it work.”

Watson said that a play by the Chicago Bears served as the inspiration, which he took to O’Brien and offensive coordinator Tim Kelly. He said the team had been working on it for four weeks. 

“Me and (backup quarterback) AJ McCarron were looking at it, watching film one day,” Watson said. “And we were like, ‘actually, we can probably run that.’ … And then Hop saw it, and Hop, of course he’s like, ‘yeah, let’s do it, let’s do it!’ “

Watson appeared to be referencing a 2017 two-point conversion by the Bears against the Minnesota Vikings in which quarterback Mitchell Trubisky ended up on taking a pitch in for a score after handoffs to running back Jordan Howard and tight end Zach Miller.

Watson said he initially wanted to check out of the play call due to the defense’s pre-snap look, but decided “me and Hop will make something work.”

The play served as a punctuation to a prolific night for Watson, who also had 234 yards and three touchdowns on 18-of-25 passing. He joins former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon as the only player in the Super Bowl era to have three passing touchdowns and a receiving score in the same game, according to NFL research.

The touchdown was both Watson’s first receiving score and Hopkins’ first as a passer.

Asked how he would rate his pass, Hopkins said: “I would give myself a 10, or an 11 maybe because I took a hit.”

Follow Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz on Twitter @MikeMSchwartz.

If you love talking football, we have the perfect spot for you. Join our Facebook Group, The Ruling Off the Field, to engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders.

Enter your email address:


Source

Continue Reading
Partners
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

The Yoga Master Who Might Be Chelsea’s Secret Weapon

Published

on

LONDON — Vinay Menon’s path to the Premier League started with a request from a former client in Dubai. Would Menon, a wellness consultant, travel to England to share his breathing and relaxation techniques with the man’s daughter and her husband, a wealthy Russian living in London.

Of course, Menon replied, even though he had never been to Britain. He met with the Russian and his wife at their home in West London, where the couple asked about Menon’s work, his background and the years he had spent studying and teaching yoga in his native India. Then they asked him if he would like to join them at a soccer game.

“I told them I didn’t have a ticket,” Menon said.

That would not be a problem, he was assured. Menon and his prospective employers made the short walk to Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge stadium, where they were quickly ushered to the suite level. It was only then, after they emerged into the owner’s box and their faces appeared on the arena’s giant video screen, that things clicked into place for Menon: His host was not merely a wealthy Russian soccer fan. He was Roman Abramovich.

“I literally had no idea who he was,” Menon said. “I just knew him as Dasha’s husband.”

Menon struggles to contain his laughter as he retells the story. Now in his 11th season at Stamford Bridge, Menon, 45, occasionally surprises himself when he stops to think about how a chance meeting has led to a decade in professional soccer — a sport he knew next to nothing about when he made that first trip to London — and to his becoming a fixture in the locker room of one of the world’s richest teams and a valued confidant of some of the world’s best players.

“Roman Abramovich changed my life,” Menon said. For some players, he has changed theirs, too.

Many roads have led to the Premier League, of course. Players from 114 nations have turned out for its teams, and its ownership groups include not only Russian oligarchs like Abramovich but Chinese property companies and Middle Eastern royal families. But Vinay Menon’s path from an island village in the southern Indian state of Kerala — where his ambition once extended no further than becoming a police officer — to the inner sanctum of Chelsea F.C., where stars from Didier Drogba to Eden Hazard have embraced his teachings, is among the least likely of all.

While the Premier League is a global business, in many ways it can be deeply parochial. Players and coaches are bound by routines and schedules that can sometimes make the smallest changes seem seismic. To mitigate the shock, and aware that some might perceive him as “an alien from Mars,” Menon kept things simple, he said, when he was first introduced to the Chelsea team: He described his work in simple language. He made a point of not forcing relationships, of watching from the sideline and explaining only to the players and coaches who asked what the yoga methods he espoused could do for them. (His sessions remain optional for Chelsea players.)

“In this world of European football they would have been thinking, Who is this guy?” Menon said. “Initially, they think I am doing voodoo or something.”

Menon determined early on that he would let his work do the talking, convinced that once the players experienced his one-on-one sessions, the benefits would be obvious. So when he wasn’t traveling with Abramovich, Menon took to visiting Chelsea’s Cobham training ground on the days the team practiced. It was there, while sitting in the largely empty staff canteen one day, that Drogba, then the team’s star forward and a leader in the dressing room, popped in for lunch. Drogba and Menon struck up a conversation. Menon explained what he did, and that he had worked with influential figures at a retreat in the foothills of the Himalayas, where wealthy clients arrived by helicopter, and at a luxury hotel in Dubai.

Drogba said he would give it a try. “That one trial,” Menon said, “took me to the world of football.”

His work with Drogba led to a session with another player open to his ideas. Then another. Then a few more.

“To be fair, when I saw him the first time, I said to myself: ‘Who is this guy? Why is he there?’” Hazard said.

For seven seasons until he left for Real Madrid last summer, Hazard had been a Chelsea mainstay whose attacking talent helped bring a half-dozen trophies to Stamford Bridge. Throughout that time, he worked regularly with Menon.

Menon won over Hazard by telling him he could help him relax. “Football is all about stress, you got pressure,” Hazard said. “So I said, ‘Let me try.’”

A typical session with Menon isn’t strictly yoga. A more accurate description, he said, would be something called Adhyatma Vidya, or the science of the self. It is the very last part of yoga, which at its most powerful can lead to a trancelike state.

Enter your email address:


Source

Continue Reading

Sports

Landry disputes rumors Beckham wants to leave | News, Sports, Jobs

Published

on

BEREA — If Odell Beckham is making plans to bolt the Browns, the flashy wide receiver hasn’t told his best friend.

Jarvis Landry thinks he would know, and he doesn’t believe Beckham is going anywhere.

Landry said Thursday that Beckham has given him no reason to feel he wants to be traded after just one season with Cleveland, which acquired the three-time Pro Bowler in a blockbuster deal with the New York Giants in March.

“I think he wants to be here. I know he wants to be here,” stressed Landry, who had previously been quiet about Beckham’s future. “It’s not even about trying to go somewhere else.”

Over the past two weeks, several reports have surfaced that Beckham, who has been slowed by a sports hernia injury since training camp, is unhappy in Cleveland and wants to leave the Browns (6-7). Beckham’s frustration has grown during the season because of his lack of production, and one report said he has gone as far as telling opposing players and coaches during games to “come get me.”

Landry doesn’t buy it. He and Beckham grew close while they were teammates at LSU, where they dreamed about possibly playing together in the NFL. And now that their vision is a reality, Landry doesn’t think his good friend would want to abandon an ideal situation so quickly.

“He’s a guy that comes to work every day,” Landry said. “He’s a guy that’s playing through injuries and all the things that you want out of a player. And inside of this organization, he has a voice. He has responsibility to himself, to all of us to go out there and compete each and every Sunday. And he does that.

“He doesn’t want to leave, and he’s not trying to leave.”

Beckham has given vague answers about his plans, which has only increased speculation that he’s plotting an exit strategy. Following Sunday’s win over Cincinnati, Beckham chose not to discuss “any offseason stuff that’s going on.” However, he did say he has grown accustomed to conjecture about his moves off the field.

“I’m used to it,” he said after catching just two passes for 39 yards, his career-high seventh straight game without reaching 100 yards. “I’ve been dealing with it for three or four years. It’s just the same thing that is going on. Not anything that I can’t handle.”

But Landry, the Browns’ nominee for the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, believes Beckham is bothered by the endless chatter about his disposition or possible destination.

“I’m sure he sees it and it does take a toll in a sense to know that he’s putting his heart and soul into this season for this team and everybody else is trying to make a story off of things that is not really going on,” Landry said.

Landry was asked that if the stories are untrue, why do they persist.

“I don’t know. That’s a question for you guys,” he told reporters. “I don’t write. I haven’t heard him say anything directly. So I don’t know how it could come out to be all that it is now.”

In the past few days, Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, quarterback Baker Mayfield and now Landry have said they’ve not heard one negative word from Beckham.

He made a brief appearance in the locker room while it was open to media, but he was not available for an interview. The 27-year-old, who has 59 catches for 844 yards and a career-low two touchdowns this season, briefly chatted with some defensive teammates, showing them one of his new customized Nike cleats.

Beckham came to Cleveland with goals of doing bigger things, but a high-powered offense has rarely revved on all cylinders or been the scoring machine it was predicted to be.

Landry can appreciate Beckham’s frustration, but the Browns can only blame themselves for not living up to mammoth preseason expectations.

Cleveland’s postseason chances are slim heading into Sunday’s game at Arizona.

“This is a team sport and it’s not about one person, whether it’s one person coming in or one person leaving,” said Landry, who is just 5 yards short of 1,000. “When I came in here, I spoke about the same things. I had the same dreams, aspirations and a lot of things happened in the season, and a lot of times when you’re turning the ball over, have penalties, it’s not usually a successful season.

“We made our bed to this point and we know we have to win out. We know the situation. We’ve still got an opportunity this week to put us in position that if the cards fall the right way, we can still have our shot at the playoffs.”

Not everything about Beckham’s situation is clear. With OBJ, nothing is ever too certain.

However, Landry feels strongly that he would be the first one Beckham would confide in.

“Of course,” Landry said with a laugh. “If he don’t, I’m gonna beat his ass.”

NOTES: C JC Tretter did not practice for the second straight day because of a knee injury. His status for the Cardinals remains uncertain. … Beckham (groin), Landry (hip) RT Chris Hubbard (knee) and DE Olivier Vernon (knee) were all limited. Kendall Lamm will make his second start in a row if Hubbard can’t play.







Enter your email address:


Source

Continue Reading

Sports

In Offer to Investors, FIFA Angles for Bigger Role in Club Soccer

Published

on

Make us an offer we can’t refuse.

That is FIFA’s message in a document sent to investors, commercial partners and media companies interested in teaming with soccer’s world governing body on a new World Cup for clubs that starts in China in 2021.

The document, reviewed by The New York Times, offers potential partners the chance to propose their own vision for soccer, but it also offer clues that suggest FIFA’s ambition is not merely to stage an expanded club championship every four years, but to become the global leader in club soccer. That kind of power shift would be significant, carrying with it huge implications for current competitions like the Champions League, but also for the influence of the continental governing bodies that have long managed the club game.

FIFA’s tender offer says its objective is to find partners to create “the world’s greatest club football experience,” and it has told interested parties that they may suggest visions for future club tournaments that differ from the quadrennial club championship approved by FIFA’s executive board earlier this year and awarded to China in October.

Offers “may include suggestions for alternative tournament parameters, including as to frequency, format, qualification process and team participation,” FIFA said. Curiously, though, potential investors have been given only 11 business days to come up with a proposal to perhaps remake the model soccer has operated under for, in some cases, more than a century.

European soccer’s governing body, UEFA, which organizes and profits from soccer’s richest club competition, the Champions League, reluctantly agreed to FIFA’s plans for an expanded Club World Cup after months of acrimony between its president, Aleksander Ceferin, and FIFA’s, Gianni Infantino.

Any more substantial changes to the structure of club soccer are likely to be bitterly opposed by UEFA, which makes the bulk of its revenue — as much as $1 billion a year — from the Champions League.

Just last week, Ceferin reacted furiously after The Times reported that Infantino had met with Florentino Pérez, the president of Real Madrid, and discussed the details of a plan in which Europe’s richest clubs would break off from UEFA to form their own independent competition. Such a move would see powerhouse clubs like Madrid, Manchester United, Juventus and others abandon their domestic competitions.

Pérez, who as Real Madrid’s president became a founding member of a new global association for international clubs when it was created last month at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich, has floated similar breakaways in the past. But with Infantino’s backing — which remains uncertain — his dream of a league in which powerful clubs write the rules and control the revenues could come closer to reality than ever before.

Until Infantino’s arrival in 2016, FIFA had largely stayed in its lane when it came to club soccer, content with organizing and monetizing the World Cup, the multibillion-dollar tournament featuring national teams which is responsible for more than 90 percent of FIFA’s revenue. Since becoming FIFA president, however, he has pushed harder and faster than any of his predecessors for world soccer’s governing body to get a slice of the riches available in the club game.

Last year, he was forced to abandon a plan to close a $25 billion agreement with a group led by the Japanese conglomerate SoftBank for two new events, including an expanded World Cup for clubs, after opposition from members of FIFA’s board, led by Ceferin, and representative bodies for leagues and clubs.

That setback led FIFA to change its approach. It first sought approval for the quadrennial club world championship, and scrapped an idea for a national team league, before saying it would go to market with the event. But for the past months, it has held talks with CVC Capital Partners, the former majority owner of the Formula One racing series. CVC, one of the world’s largest private-equity firms, also has significant investments in sports like rugby and motorcycle racing.

The Financial Times reported last week that the company has spoken with both FIFA and Real Madrid, and is interested in being a partner with FIFA for competitions and events beyond a single four-year tournament. A spokesman for CVC declined to comment.

Other companies have also expressed interest in the project, including Infront Sports & Media, a sports marketing company owned by the Dalian Wanda Group, one of FIFA’s main sponsors. Officials there, and at least two other businesses interested in the tournament, expressed surprise that FIFA had not held preliminary discussions with them ahead of issuing its request for offers, but also at the short window to create a plan in time for the Dec. 19 deadline.

FIFA did not respond to an email for comment on the tender offer, or on its plans for a bigger role in club soccer.

Infantino has been open about his vision for club soccer to grow outside of its European stronghold. Earlier this month, he pushed the idea of investing hundreds of millions of dollars in a new Pan-African league, as a means to increase quality on the continent and slow the global talent drain to Europe. The FIFA president has also had talks with national associations in Asia about the possibility of creating regional or subregional leagues there, and conversations with President Trump about the quality of soccer in the top United States league, Major League Soccer.

“One of the FIFA president’s duties is to listen to stakeholders’ perspectives about relevant topics for football,” FIFA said in a statement last week in response to questions about Infantino’s discussions with Pérez and others about changes to the club game. “FIFA believes that an open and constructive dialogue between different members of the football community is essential to find the right balance and the best solutions for the future of the game.”

FIFA’s 2021 club world championship will feature 25 teams, with a playoff match reducing the field to 24 teams placed into eight groups of three teams. In the current format for the tournament, group winners would move into a knockout round that culminates in a final. Europe (eight) and South America (six) will provide the bulk of the teams for the event under a plan outlined by FIFA, which said the event would take place over 15 match days.

Enter your email address:


Source

Continue Reading

Trending

//onvictinitor.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
This website uses cookies. If you continue to use the website, we assume your consent.
accept